Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - review

Well I was one the first people to see The Hobbit and I have to say I was underwhelmed by it. There were some really good scenes with the dragon but I felt it was moving slowly, of course we all know The Hobbit could've been done in one three hour movie.

There was no real story arc for the second movie, I guess after Lord of the Rings one would expect to have a complete story arc for each of The Hobbit movies. Making movies with 3D viewing in mind also complicates the story - scenes you know were only placed in the movie for the 3D effect with little relevance to plot - although this is a criticism of all movies that have a 3D equivalent.

Hopefully the third instalment won't suffer from further degradation (remember the Godfather 3 - it was just the wrong feel for the franchise).

In the end you know you are going to see it because of the dragon and because it is The Hobbit - the scenic views are inspiring but I did not feel the 3D version was worth it, I am tempted to go to IMAX to see how it fairs there.

No comments:

Post a Comment